If the gate does not have pitting from rust you can try red Jeweler’s Rouge on
a soft cotton cloth. This will polish without scratching. Start with a damp
cloth and follow with a dry cloth.
Also 3M makes Scotch-brite and the white is the finest grade and will remove
surface rust without scratching the metal. When removing rust from procession
surfaces test in a non-critical area first.
Hope this helps
Sherman
On Jul 26, 2016, at 6:31 AM, peter humble