> On Dec 24, 2016, at 6:21 PM, Dave Tetzlaff <djte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t think a USB stick is a good choice though, because it’s too
> expensive, and it’s impermanent. It’s not ‘the work’, but a container that
> has the work in it temporarily, which can be dumped out, erased, replaced
> with something else — just like everything else in the society and culture
> this kind fo work is straining against.

I love this thought, as it points to the underlying difference between 'art /
experimental film' and 'regular Netflix fare'. . .

Most of these digital distribution models are based in the viewer's consumption
of content. I associate consumptive seeing with evaluations of quality of plot,
and the overall familiar escapist experience. This is a kind of comfort food
for the psyche.

Experimental film work usually has many other aims, sometimes consciously
working against entertainment by "being not sensually pleasing". The
experimental, with its ongoing discovery process, challenges viewers with the
discomfort of the new.

Oddly this work gets more important during this time of 'certainty of
consumable experience' & the weird belief people have in information published
on the internet.

End riff. Thanks for the thought.

Oh and also USBs suck for distro because they fail, and formatting
incompatibility across computer systems make them a royal PITA.

Jessica

* * *
Jessica Fenlon
http://station-number-six.com