from the Filmmaker’s Coop Catalog: (description seems laden with Coyote-esque
obfuscation, and I wrote it…)

Robert Harris

COYOTE   (1997) DVD NTSC, color, 17:07 min

Genre: Documentary, Experimental

COYOTE is an invocation of the many shady, shifting forms of Coyote, wide dog,
Trickster, and smuggler, told in a style that mimics his multifarious shape.
COYOTE abandons unified visual style. The narrative is fractured, a blend of
documentary and fiction, contradictory voices, myths, and lies. Through a
discontinuity between images, between image and text, between textual voices;
through a clash of human and non-human voices, fixed meaning is undermined.
Contradiction, displacement and disruption force the viewer's participation.
Text and image drift in and out of moments of relative, subjective
synchronicity. A reading ascribed to a given image will dissolve with the
change of accompanying text. As meaning becomes contingent on viewer and
context, authorship shifts from video-maker to collective process. COYOTE is an
accumulated cacophony of evidence fragments where meanings coagulate in the
resonant harmonics of the various voices.