The bulb you are holding is shot. The white crystal in the center is what a worn out lamp looks like. The center should be clear with 2 metal tips at both ends...
You'll have to buy a lamp to do a further test. Checking the machines with a new lamp is the best way to see if it's circuitry, or just a worn out lamp.
I have the lamps on my website, on the Projector Lamp page:
http://www.urbanskifilm.com

Larry