Hi, Scott.  Cryptic!  I’m sure the situation is more complicated than we know,
and am here only sharing information as I find it.  The only counter narrative
I’ve discovered so far is the one published in the Boston Globe:

> Kim Keown, a former MassArt student who said she first saw the film years ago
> with no warning about its graphic content, said cautionary notice is the
> critical issue.
>
> “Saul has bullied and abused other faculty and staff at MassArt for years,”
> said Keown, who now works as a studio manager in the school’s film area. “I
> have nothing against the film or this kind of artwork being made or shown,
> but with [no] warning [it] can make one uncomfortable and unsafe. I was his
> student; and I did not speak out. If I had, back then, I would have been
> ridiculed.”

See
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/03/31/massart-professor-says-school-ousted-him-after-student-complaints/rY0bKt12T1DrhJZ8ocYKJP/story.html

I see two issues that are entangled: 1., Title IX and due process, which is
worthy of serious exploration, and according to Saul’s report is at issue here.
 And 2. changing standards for “good” vs. “bad” provocation, which you gloss
with "things that seemed passionate and committed to one generation now seeming
outrageous to another.”

I’m equally interested in how both matters play out in this case.  But my
emotions are all on Saul’s side.  Admittedly, I’m using the latter to
understand the former.  For now, that seems ok, but I’ll certainly try to be
cautious until I learn more.