Adam Bolte <abo...@systemsaviour.com> writes:

> If my above assumptions are correct, why treat graphics driver firmware
> specially? I'm certainly not saying it's wrong to demand free firmware,
> however I'm curious why some firmware is treated differently. Is it because
> one lives in your filesystem on your HDD, but the other is stored in an EEPROM
> (and if so, why does this matter)?

Yes, for me, that's it exactly. I distinguish between devices that
require non-free firmware to be uploaded each time I turn them on and
devices that have firmware inside but don't require me to touch it.

It's important to me to draw clear lines between the free and the
non-free software. I don't want my operating system project to have to
distribute non-free software, because fully-free operating systems are
so much more powerful as an advocacy tool. That's why I use Trisquel;
because it makes no exceptions.

Beyond that, I also think it's important that we have free firmware for
devices that come with it embedded such as motherboards and hard
drives). These are a smaller violation of freedom though, and cleanly
segmented from operating system distributions. Right now I prefer
instead to focus on the bigger problems for freedom such as Skype and
Adobe Flash.

Ben