On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Adam Bolte <abo...@systemsaviour.com>wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> On 30/06/13 17:35, Matt Giuca wrote:
> > Thanks for a clear and detailed summary of your Ouya experiences.
>
> No worries. Right back at you.
>

> > It sucks that there are journalists going around saying that the
> > Ouya is less restrictive than it actually is (for certain,
> > apparently randomly selected, customers).
>
> Yes. I have noticed this too. When I first turned on the device, there
> was a large firmware update that needed to be applied, so possibly in
> doing that it has changed the initial sign-up behavior for those of us
> who only very recently received our Ouya devices.
>

> > Fortunately, instead of a credit card, you also have the option of
> >> using a pre-paid credit code. These were apparently available
> >> during pre-order, and can be brought from various places online.
> >> eg.
> >>
> >> http://www.game.co.uk/en/ouya-10-credit-232744
> >>
> >> So while some available credit must be verified (which I'm not
> >> defending - this aspect of the Ouya console sucks), it seems that
> >> you don't have to hand over your credit card to Ouya to store
> >> indefinitely if you don't want to.
> >
> > But then I have to pay them more money up front (which I don't feel
> > they deserve right now) and also wait for a physical card to be
> > shipped internationally.
>
> You're right. Hopefully cdkey-hut.com or some such will add Ouya
> support soon, so we can pay anonymously and without waiting on
> postage. Still would have to pay something up-front though.
>

> > I'm happier to get a general-purpose debit card. At least then I
> > can use the credit elsewhere, not just on Ouya. There are cards
> > that do not require opening a full bank account from Australia Post
> > and Woolworths. I'm trying to decide which one is better. They both
> > have some nasty drawbacks (like credit expiration and cancellation
> > fees).
>
> Interesting. I haven't looked into them, so know nothing about them.
>

> > I would definitely configure a PIN just in case I don't find myself
> > mashing the "shoot" button and a dialog pops up and I accidentally
> > mash the "Buy for $100" button.
>
> I'm pretty sure that there isn't any game on Ouya at that price. From
> game.co.uk, "Every OUYA game is free to try, but unlocking the game,
> additional features or extra play time can cost between £1 to £20".
> I've been quite impressed with how cheap the games are priced at so
> far. Your point still stands though.

Well, this post I linked to:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1fygl2/warning_3_yr_old_son_just_cost_me_300_dont_let_it/
says that there was a game (EMUya) that charged $100 on a single payment.
(For unlocking "cheat mode" no less, what a ludicrous amount of money. Any
in-app purchase that expensive can only be designed to trick people or
their kids into buying it.)