On 19 December 2014 at 11:26, Adam Bolte <abo...@systemsaviour.com> wrote:

> You both seem to be talking about two different things. Ben was saying
> that you can run whatever app store you want - you are not forced to
> use Google. This is absolutely true. On my Sony Xperia Z1 Ultra
> "phablet" running Android, I had no trouble at all disabling all the
> Google Play apps and installing F-Droid. No firmware hacking or
> rooting, etc. The Humble Bundle also have their own "store" on Android
> for apps you have purchased, completely outside of Google's ecosystem,
> for example.

I think the main part of my argument was that there is vendor lock in on
any platform. Google has less, but it's more of a technicality in the frame
of the larger argument which was tablets in school environments. Because
it's a technicality, you have to assess either platform on their merits in
an educational environment..

I'm not saying we shouldn't embrace app stores like F-droid, they are
great, I was more just responding to the individual needs of a school,
which aren't really met by f-droid's 30 or so total educational apps...
Hopefully the situation improves over time.

On 19 December 2014 at 11:45, Ben Sturmfels <b...@stumbles.id.au> wrote:

> This sounds like a fantastic topic for our Feb meet up! Noah could we
> pencil you in to talk a little about your experiences? Doesn't need to
> be anything formal, but you have the very valuable perspective from
> inside a school. I'm sure we'll have a few parents with school aged kids
> (or soon to be) too.

Maybe.. I'd have to think about that one a bit. It's kinda like doing a
talk on vi vs emacs :P

Can we ban tomato's from the meet and make sure no-one brings a stockade?