On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 01:32:57 AM Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> > The problem is not people moving on quickly but hardware designers moving
> > on.
>
> Yes it is the people.... those developers/testers with the S3 have
> probably upgraded to newer phones and so most have abandoned the S3 in
> terms of getting CM working fully and properly with everything.  I see
> that you've moved on to the Nexus 6P too.

For my Debian development work I do most of my development and testing on the
AMD64 platform.  I also have some i386 class systems that I can use for the
rare situations where a bug shows up on i386 but not AMD64.  That allows me to
cover the vast majority of Debian systems that have EVER been in production.

The Debian user-space doesn't rely on anything unusual in the Linux kernel
(you can run Debian fine with a kernel you build from upstream sources or a
kernel from another distribution such as Fedora - the same can't be said for
Android).  Of the kernel dependencies in Debian that's usually limited to a
few things like systemd, so if we had a Debian system that was locked to a
particular kernel (EG due to ARM not having a hardware support system for
initial boot that's as effective as a PC BIOS) then it could run with an older
version of systemd or sysvinit.

If you happen to have a Pentium 3 system from 16 years ago on your desktop you
can run the latest version of Debian with KDE or GNOME on it and expect that
it will just work.  Every DD has the ability to run an i386 chroot for test
purposes so you can safely assume that most things will just work.  KDE or
GNOME on a P3 will in every way apart from speed work just as well as on the
latest AMD64 system.

> > Pentium class PCs ran MS-DOS well, it's quite likely that modern AMD64
> > PCs can run MS-DOS too although I've never tested it.  Modern AMD64
> > systems run i386 builds of Linux.
>
> Yes, but the way PCs are going, they'll be Wintel boxen or nothing; it's
> going to be continuous hard work to make sure that machines purchased
> can run Linus or any other OS different to Windows.   The manufactures
> seem intent on forcing us down that road, perhaps with huge incentives
> from M$.

Yes that is a significant problem.  But on the topic of Android support those
secure boot issues are making the PC platform like the typical Android
devices...