On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 01:46:00 PM Andri Effendi wrote:
> I think people who dismiss Assange or Snowden as "Russian Agent(s)" are
> bonkers and have been manipulated by the MSM.

I have never suggested that Snowden is a Russian agent.  He merely resides in
Russia, there is no evidence of him favoring the Russian government.  He only
released information about the NSA because that's all he had access to.

> I can't believe that such critical information that should be released
> to the public as part of being a so called "democracy" is seen as making
> them foreign agents.

I doubt that anyone outside a few of the more extreme members of Congress
think that releasing such information makes them Russian agents.  Claiming
that Russia has a free press is however good evidence of being a Russian
agent.

> Vulnerabilities in the software that hundreds of millions (if not
> billions) use every day must be exposed and patched ASAP.

True.  I think I've done my share of work in securing Linux systems both
directly through working on SE Linux and indirectly through finding bugs in
various daemons and applications (often due to SE Linux policy revealing
inappropriate things).

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/73441-appelbaum-banned-
from-debian-events-after-sexual-misconduct-charges.html

Could you please give us a summary of some of your contributions to Linux
security?  A quick Google search only turned up the above.

> We can't let this Anti-Russia scare nonsense affect critically judging
> our government.
>
> When wrong doing is exposed, IT must be the center of attention, NOT who
> revealed it.

Edward Snowden revealed wrong-doing, I and others took it seriously.  Since
the Snowden revelations lots of things have been done to improve security,
including a massive increase in the use of HTTPS and TOR.

This latest release by Assange is simply more of the same.  Evidence that the
CIA is doing things on Android that the NSA was known to do on other platforms
years ago is not particularly interesting and doesn't change anything.  I
think that everyone who read about the Snowden leaks inferred that such things
were being done.

> Scape goating and saying "it's all russia's fault" without proof is just
> going to alienate people and will be 100% counter productive.

It's a good thing that I never said it's Russia's fault.

But then studiously ignoring what Russia might be doing is also a bad thing.
I think it's reasonable to believe that the Russian government has greater
capabilities than the North Korean government and therefore they can do more
than hack Sony.

There are more than a few people who are happy to have the US government
monitor them.  Convince those people that Russia isn't a threat and they won't
be particularly interested in doing anything about such problems.

> Don't take "it's russia's fault" with a grain of salt, especially
> nowadays when it is just being used as a distraction.

That's something that Trump or Palin might say.