On Tue, Apr 10, 2018, at 07:44, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> On 09/04/2018 21:42, John Lewis wrote:
>
> > What software do you plan to blog with?
>
> I'm very interested in this answer too as I'm also evaluating various
> software options for blogging.

By strange coincidence, I just started setting up a blog
yesterday, something I've been meaning to do for years.  (It'll
be at blog.ljk.id.au — but with various life distractions, it
probably won't be up and running for a week or two from now.)

After considering a few possibilities, I settled on Hakyll,

   https://jaspervdj.be/hakyll/

It's written in Haskell (using Pandoc), which I guess is
appropriate since I'm aiming mainly to focus on functional
programming in my blog.  On one of the pages, there's a list of
sample blogs that use Hakyll, which you can take a look at to
see what it can do.

The downside is that you need to operate in the Haskelliverse,
say via haskell-stack, though the commands are fairly
boilerplate.  The upside is that the code is very clean and
typesafe, which is reassuring.  And it'd be a lot faster than,
say, a PHP-based solution.

Hakyll just generates static websites from content files (in
various formats, including Markdown), from templates, and from
configuration in a Haskell-embedded domain-specific language.

The author, Jasper Van der Jeugt, jaspervdj, provides a
base-level setup (which I'm using so far).  So long as you're
happy with its overall structure, you can just slot in your
content files, and regenerate with a simple command, not needing
to touch any Haskell.  If you're more ambitious, you can start
editing templates and Haskell.

Being text-based, it plays nice with version control.  In fact,
there's a tutorial on linking up neatly with Github pages.

Like I said, Hakyll uses Pandoc, with all its goodness.  I was
originally planning to create content in raw HTML, but after
seeing the conveniences of Pandoc's Markdown, I think I'll
switch to it.

As far as a creating and editing Markdown, I do it just direct
in Emacs, and preview as I go along.  I guess it'd be pretty
simple to view with Pandoc, but Hakyll's driving that for me.

Hakyll is worth looking at.  Hope this helps.

Oh, appropriate to this list: One question I'm tussling with is
what licences to use. The original author doesn't say what
licence his code and initial setup is under.  Since it's on
github, I assume it's some sort of free licence, but which one?
And for my stuff, it's going to be a combination of writing, for
which some sort of suitable Creative Commons licence would make
sense (by "suitable" I mean GPL-like), and code, for which I'm
thinking maybe Apache-2 would make most sense, since the amount
of code will be pretty small, and maybe not worth the overhead
of GPL.  Any opinions?

— Smiles, Les.