Yes it seems to be reported that the crashes are due to an over heating power supply. You just need to lift it so its not touching any surface area and so it gets a good ventalation around it.
If we are going to mod the 360 it would be no problem making a new power supply.
There has also been a claim that some have not got the heatsink mounted correctly... Could you imagine what a triple core CPU would do if the heat sink fell off?

We will see what comes of it on MS's end. They may release the next lot with better power supplys.

Shai-tan