Sorry to flood the group like this, but these issues have been building
up in my head, and I figured it would be good to have them all in
separate threads because they are unrelated.

Occasionally FreeAmp will hang when I'm playing around with the GUI
(intense fiddling with the seeker or the track advance buttons can
cause the hang about 90% of the time). When it hangs, the only thing that
seems to still work in the GUI is the mouseover color changes on the
buttons.

When I am attached to the process via the debugger, and Freeamp hangs,
it hangs so hard that choosing "Debug | Break" causes the debugger to
hang. Similarly, trying to kill the process via the Task Manager
causes the Task Manager itself to hang. This behavior is transitive,
meaning that if I bring up another task manager and try to kill the
debugger or first task manager, the *new* task manager hangs too! This
also happens with kill.exe (from the MKS Toolkit) and listdlls.exe
(from www.sysinternals.com).

I haven't tried SoftIce yet, I've usually found it to be a little more
stable.

I am assuming that this is not a normal deadlock (never had a problem
doing a debug break on those) or infinite loop (CPU is at 0%). I assume
it's in a low-level component (driver-level), possibly this portio.sys
thing?

I am using a dual CPU machine, which might explain why nobody else is
complaining about this (maybe the driver can't handle the increased
concurrency). I did see one bug in the database regarding a hang, but
it was supposedly fixed and checked in some time ago.

I am running NT 4 SP5, btw. Has anyone else seen this? Any debugging
tips?

Thanks,

| Chad Loder - Somerville, MA, USA                 |
| EMail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        |
| Home Page: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cloder    |