I meant that you could create an interface to the metadirectory that
accessed the XML listings... it could then be presented in software
interfaces (Media players - WM/Real/QT/Winamp/Freeamp/Other MP3) or hardware
interfaces (kerbango) or a www interface - all of which would be connected
to the Internet to stay constantly updated. I'm just wondering how difficult
it would be to create an "audio search engine" that could query the existing
directories and put their content into a NATL type format.

Milan

on 7/13/00 8:36 AM, David Sweet at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If you put the directory into the hardware/software then what happens when
> the directories change?  (Perhaps I've misunderstood you, though).  With a
> browser you could create an online NATL meta directory that pointed to the
> live, constantly update, listings and/or content available on the network.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Milan Cole wrote:
>
>> I think that is a great idea. Would it be possible to use such a language to
>> query the various directories of audio content (kerbango.com, shoutcast.com,
>> penguinaudio.com, live365.com, radiospy,com, broadcast.com, and others) to
>> create a metadirectory that could then be integrated into media player
>> and/or other hardware/software interfaces (without the browser)?
>>
>> on 7/12/00 6:19 PM, David Sweet at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> As it stands, network audio tuning -- locating audio files and streams
>>> -- is ineffcient.  Most network audio portal sites require the user to
>>> locate audio files and streams using a web browser and then to play the
>>> files/streams with an audio player.  Sites that support audio hardware
>>> (ex., www.kerbango.com, www.penguinaudio.com) collect audio URLs and
>>> format them for the hardware being supported.  This hardware then accesses
>>> audio conent by querying the web site.
>>>
>>> The problems, as I see them are:
>>> 1) On the desktop, accessing audio via WWW/HTML adds an
>>> unnecessary step and application launch (the WWW browser) to the process
>>> of accessing audio.
>>> 2) The non-uniform method of presenting audio content makes it
>>> difficult for special-purpose audio hardware/software to find and access
>>> it.
>>> 3) Audio hardware traditionally has a small user interface (eg., a
>>> radio, walkman, car stereo etc.) that could not support WWW browsing.
>>> This is reasonable since the devices is intendend to deliver aural, not
>>> visual content.  This makes WWW-based tuning clumsy and inefficient.
>>>
>>> [Centralized solutions to problem 2 (i.e., web sites such as
>>> www.kerbango.com) are suboptimal in that they require new audio content
>>> providers to submit their URL to (or have it found by) the hardware
>>> company.  Contrast this with the WWW where only the end user needs to know
>>> the URL to access a web page.]
>>>
>>> To solve these problems, I am working on NATL, the Network Audio Tuning
>>> Language.  It is an XML document type that describes network audio
>>> content.  It is intended to be the basis of a worl-wide-web of audio