I may be wrong on some of the specifics but this is what
I've found.  I've successfully gotten FreeAmp to switch
between multiple bitrate mp3s.

The problem really is that the pipeline is setup based on
the first few frames of data received.  It would be
possible to signal the change through RTP, but I believe
all mpeg audio uses the static payload type 14.

So, you could have the code check each packet for it's format,
but I think I tried that once, and the overhead was way too high.

A more complicated solution would be to modify Obseqium to set
the Market bit in the RTP header when it's about to change format.
Then just have the player reconfigure the decoder when it
detects the Market bit in the stream.

Anyone else have suggestions.