On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 10:23:30PM -0800, Colin Marquardt wrote:
> I have a lot of ripped CDs where the MP3s are named like
> 01_Trackname.mp3. Of course, ID3v1 has no field to store this track
> number

ID3v1.1 does (see http://www.id3.org/id3v1.html).

There's not much of a difference over v1 - the comment field is shortened
from 30 to 28 characters and fields are null-padded instead of space-
padded. The presence of the track field is determined by checking if
the 29th character of the comment field is null, and if so, the 30th
character is the track number, an unsigned char.

id3, available at http://idea.lly.org/~rcw/id3/, is one such program that
implements v1.1.
--
Robert Woodcock - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"* We used to try various strange things. Let's not."