On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

[snip]

> 7.      [medium] The current naming for ptys doesn't scale that
>       well.  Changing it to ttyp%d / pty%d would probably be a
>       good idea in the long run, but the ramifications are
>       relatively widespread (think: "ports")

Which while being scaleable in one direction (you can have things like
/dev/pty1234567890) as it is essentialy open ended, on the other hand:

        a) pty/tty names are now variable length
        b) the name length advances quite quickly as we add more ptys
        c) it is a totaly new "look and feel"

So why not instead:

        a) have a constant that tells how long the tty name "suffix "is
           supposed to be (#define TTY_NAMSUFL  4, for example)
        b) encode the tty name as:
                pty/ttykl..l
        where k=[p-sP-S]
        and   l=[0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv]
        and the number of l-s is the number given above in TTY_NAMSUFL

The current system would just be one where the number of "l-s" is
hardwired to 1.

Anybody who has been looking at tty names is used to base-32 anyways 8-)

> Poul-Henning
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

        Sander

        There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
        all these are just illusions.