At 4:35 PM +0200 1999/9/17, Brad Knowles wrote:

>       I'm running the second tests now.

        The second series of tests was *highly* educational.  For the
first time ever with postmark, I saw errors like this:

Error: cannot open '34878' for writing
Error: cannot open '34879' for writing
.Error: Cannot delete '31484'
.Error: cannot open '31483' for reading
Error: Cannot delete '30648'
.Error: cannot open '31483' for reading
.Error: Cannot delete '30352'
Done
Deleting files...Error: Cannot delete '30352'
Error: Cannot delete '30353'
Error: Cannot delete '30648'
Error: Cannot delete '31486'
Error: Cannot delete '32103'

        I'm guessing that the async filesystem under Linux just couldn't
keep up.  I'm hoping that this hasn't permanently trashed that
filesystem.  ;-)

        I also noticed that system CPU usage was *much* higher under
Linux than it was under FreeBSD.  I saw peaks of 97% utilization in
system time, and I'm going to re-run these tests under the bash
"time" command to see if I can get some averages of system versus
user mode usage, etc....

        Anyway, the results I got were:

                Transactions per second:        97
                KBytes Read per second:         230.58
                KBytes Written per second:      418.22

        The re-run of the second sequence with "time" is now underway.

        I've also got back initial results of running postmark on a
similar Dell PowerEdge 1300, but this time one with two 450Mhz
processors.  Otherwise, it is configured pretty much identically, at
least for the subsystems I'm testing so far.  The filesystem is *not*
mounted with softupdates.  The results I got were:

                Transactions per second:        35
                KBytes Read per second:         110.58
                KBytes Written per second:      113.06

        I'm re-running this command under bash "time" as well, and all
future results to be reported will be likewise.  I'm also going to go
back and do the same for the tests I ran on the older PPro 200
machine with 128MB RAM.

|o| Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.