On 10 Nov, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Using command substitution in /etc/rc.conf{,.local} is NOT
> officially supported.  I think it should have always been
> clear that there should _only_ be plain variable assignments.

But with i4b you have to specify a username-password pair in rc.conf
(spppconfig_isp0) and I didnīt want to show it to every user (rc.conf is
u+rw,g+r,o+r for reasons you mention).

> That's probably just because you never know which programs
> try to read them.

Ok, so we (root of machine xxx) have either a security hole
(dial-in-passwd visible to everyone) or we have to forget the
recommended way of doing it.

>  > Is this just my system or is man really reading rc.conf(.local)?
>
> I think that's perfectly legal.

Yes, but is it necessary?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         Columbus had a fourth ship. It sailed over the edge.

http://netchild.home.pages.de  A.Leidinger+Home @ WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E