On 10-Nov-99 at 06:59, Alexander Leidinger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote: > On 10 Nov, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> > Using command substitution in /etc/rc.conf{,.local} is NOT
> > officially supported.  I think it should have always been
> > clear that there should _only_ be plain variable assignments.
>
> But with i4b you have to specify a username-password pair in rc.conf
> (spppconfig_isp0) and I didnīt want to show it to every user (rc.conf is
> u+rw,g+r,o+r for reasons you mention).
>
> > That's probably just because you never know which programs
> > try to read them.
>
> Ok, so we (root of machine xxx) have either a security hole
> (dial-in-passwd visible to everyone) or we have to forget the
> recommended way of doing it.

It looks to me as though the recommended way of doing it needs to
be changed.  How about putting the sppp setup in a separate script
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?  Or, put the script in /etc/isdn and add
that directory to the local_startups variable in rc.conf ?

> >  > Is this just my system or is man really reading rc.conf(.local)?
> >
> > I think that's perfectly legal.
>
> Yes, but is it necessary?

The whole rc setup isn't 'necessary'.  But it's damned useful
and convienient.  And so is the ability for arbitrary programs
and scripts to read and easily parse rc.conf to obtain system
wide defaults.

-Pat