On 10 Nov, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Ok, so we (root of machine xxx) have either a security hole
>> (dial-in-passwd visible to everyone) or we have to forget the
>> recommended way of doing it.
>
> It looks to me as though the recommended way of doing it needs to
> be changed.  How about putting the sppp setup in a separate script
> in /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?  Or, put the script in /etc/isdn and add
> that directory to the local_startups variable in rc.conf ?

Thereīs already rc.isdn, we just have to find a name for the config file
(Iīve no problem to do it in my setup, I just want to have a official
way to close this security hole).

>>> I think that's perfectly legal.
>> Yes, but is it necessary?
>
> The whole rc setup isn't 'necessary'.  But it's damned useful
> and convienient.  And so is the ability for arbitrary programs
> and scripts to read and easily parse rc.conf to obtain system
> wide defaults.

Sorry, I didnīt object to the rc setup, I just want to know why we
didnīt use manpath.config (yes, "man_locales" isnīt realy a
path-specifier, but itīs relatet to man & localized man-pages which are
stored in īManPathElementī/LocalePart/).
And I didnīt say it has to be changed (but we have to change the startup
of i4b).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         Dead men tell no tales, unless you're in forensics.

http://netchild.home.pages.de  A.Leidinger+Home @ WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E