Poul-Henning Kamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Once we have established that the new driver doesn't leave a large
> number of people stranded it will be killed for good.

     I think this is a key issue, if not *THE* key issue.

     Please correct me if I'm wrong, but PHK and others are basically
saying:

1. If we allow the old drivers to exist, many people will not use the
   new drivers, and the new drivers will get little testing.

2. We, therefore, need to force people to use the new drivers by getting
   rid of the old ones.

     The concerns that other people have are:

1. "I'm worried about ATA.  It was just called ``alpha-quality'' a few
   days ago, and now you want to promote it to something past
   ``beta-quality'', where, during a typical beta-test, both old and new
   drivers coexist.  I'm worried about the stability of the ATA
   drivers."

   The timing is extremely unfortunate.  Many people would have much
   fewer concerns (or "whining", as has been poorly said) if there were
   a "testing period" longer than a few days (where the ATA drivers are
   the default, but the old wd drivers still existed).

2. Functionality is currently missing.

   I hope I'm wrong, but the attitude seems to be: "If the ATA drivers
   are missing functionality, either fix it yourself or send hardware to
   the developers.  If you can't fix it, you shouldn't be running
   -current".

   Well, this is fine to say, but I'd like to point out:

   * Many -current users have newer hardware, and tend to have fewer
     hardware that may not be supported by the new ATA drivers.  Many
     -current users can afford to buy newer hardware (or do so because
     of business/consulting reasons).

   * I believe that many users of -release or -stable (who are not
     running -current and are not reading -current) tend to use older
     hardware -- the kind that may not be supported by the ATA drivers.

   The problem here is that we are potentially preventing users of
   older hardware from running 4.0-release/-stable when it comes out,
   because no one running -current has an example of their older
   hardware, and we removed the old drivers which may have worked.

     In other words, it's unclear as to whether or not the new driver
will leave any significant number of people stranded, even if all
-current developers test the h*ll out of ATA.

--
        Darryl Okahata
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]