At 11:59 PM -0700 2000/1/4, Warner Losh wrote:

>       I fear it will be Feb or Mar before I get to it at this rate
>  since I have little free time.  Consulting $$$ takes precidence over
>  freetime hacking...

        I'm not one of the affected, but is there any chance a collection
could be taken up to help fund this effort at a higher priority?  It
seems to me that this is precisely the sort of thing that people
might be willing pay some money for, and it wouldn't take too much
money from too many people before this might start becoming
potentially interesting.

        On a related note, perhaps it might be interesting to start a
list of FreeBSD projects that might affect relatively large numbers
of people, but which are languishing due to lack of funds on the part
of the people who are involved in the implementation process?

        I don't have any money to just donate to causes like this [0],
but I suspect that this is one of those things where we could allow
people to contribute in a material fashion, other than either hacking
on code or volunteering to be a guinea-pig and testing out code that
had been hacked by someone else.  It would also allow people to get
collections together for those things where a lot of people who would
be materially impacted could get small-scale donations together and
potentially have a large impact.

        In fact, you could even get into corporate sponsors & paid
support contracts, and potentially start generating some serious
money that could be put to good uses.

        Sorry if I'm re-opening any old wounds, or if this is something
that's already being done.  However, if that's the case, I'd
appreciate pointers to information on this.

[0]  It's not like I'm a multi-millionaire who got lots of money from
a company I founded being bought out from underneath me or going IPO,
and then spending all my free time working on FreeBSD kernel issues
-- unlike certain other people I could mention. ;-)

|o| Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.