reading raw audio data off a cd with dd did never work for me...
anyway, it would be a good thing(TM) if there was a tool such as
cdparanoia under l*n*x that has all that fancy jitter and scratch
detection and removal (real goodd error correction) and this ones also
really fast (10x speed) when youre reading on a plextor drive (such as
my pxw4220t) or something else that has a native mode for extracting
audio.

i think, theres a port of tosha available, but the last time i tried
this one it wouldnt work for me so i used the l*n*x box next to my
workstation...

/k

Jordan K. Hubbard ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) @ Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 03:47:31PM -0800:
> If I stick an audio CD in my SCSI (rebadged Toshiba) CDRW drive
> and try to read data off of it, I get the following behavior:
>
> root@zippy-> dd if=/dev/rcd0c bs=2k of=/dev/null
> dd: /dev/rcd0c: Invalid argument
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> <and on the console at the same time>
> (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
> (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:64,0
> (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): Illegal mode for this track
> (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): cddone: got error 0x16 back
> dscheck(#cd/2): b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 2048)
>
> and I've gotten this behavior for quite some time.  I didn't *use* to
> have this behavior, as my mpeg backups of various CDs done on this
> same machine can demonstrate, but if we can't even read data off an
> audio CD with dd then you can rest assured that utilities like tosha
> aren't going to be able to read data either, and that really sucks.
>
> Drive information:
>
> cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> cd0: <SAF CD-R8020 1.20> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8)
> cd0: cd present [227322 x 2048 byte records]
>
> Controller information:
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7850 SCSI adapter> irq 10 at device 4.0 on pci2
> ahc0: aic7850 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs
>
> [This is a BIOS-less Advansys controller, used exclusively for the CD
>  drive.  The machine also has dual on-board 7895 wide controllers
>  which are used just for disk in order to avoid mixing wide and narrow
>  devices in (what I consider) less-than-elegant fashion]
>
> I also say "tell me again" because this issue isn't new and I brought
> it up back when this first broke.  Justin said it clearly wasn't his
> code, SCSI device or no, and phk intimated that maybe it had something
> to do with the blockdev stuff and then handed me several patches which
> didn't have any effect on the problem.  All I know is that my FreeBSD-current
> box has lost a powerful and popular capability and I'm more than willing
> to test patches or work with someone in fixing it.  This area of the
> kernel isn't my forte', but my love of mp3s may send me in there at
> some point if this is still broken as we get close to code freeze. :-)
>
> - Jordan

> Hackers know all the right MOVs.
http://www.nacamar.de - http://www.nacamar.net - http://www.webmonster.de
http://www.apache.de - http://www.quakeforum.de - finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
KR433/KR11-RIPE - PGP-KFP = F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44