On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 03:35:47PM +0100, Christian Carstensen wrote:
> this is funny:
> the system operates well, even when on heavy load (especially disk load),
> until i want a little more 8). to become more precisely, a cvs checkout or
> make world is no problem, if - and that's really interesting - nothing
> else requests the system's attention. i've had some successfully reproducable
> crashes when generating much i/o usage (cvs, buildworld), which in fact
> caused no problem, and then simply starting pine. at the moment, pine
> opened the mail folder, all my noisy hard disks stopped and it was
> perfectly quiet apart from cpu fans.

That sounds exactly like the very dead state I found my system in when it
hang (I only have one occurence, so far, but my system isn't under very
heavy load lately). Make -j 9 buildworld completes fine. The hang seems to
have occured during a simple 20 Mb transfer of email data from my ide to my
scsi disk (which is a very short but i/o intensive operation). There might
have been an incoming email at the same time.

I will try an idiotic buildworld -j 30 this evening just to see wether I
can hang the system reproducibly. Have to go now, however.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
 Fatal error: replace user and try again.