* The biggest problem has been that the port of g77 has not worked
 * properly for quite some time and in fact is currently marked as
 * broken. I would anticipate that this situation would not change much in

That (and bug fix issues, as DavidO contends) all depends on the
commitment of the maintainer (which there is none for the g77 port).
Unless someone who uses g77 regularly steps up to maintain it, it will
remain broken.  This is the same for all ports, and I don't see why a
fortran compiler should be an exception.

Granted, if won't be blatantly broken if it's in the base
distribution, but that's only because people will yell and scream if
their "make world" doesn't work.  If the amount of noise that
generates is significantly different from what happens if it's a
broken port, that's actually a pretty good argument *against* putting
it in the base distribution, as it means we can keep g77 running only
by annoying people who don't use it when it's broken.  (1/2 :)

This port has been marked broken since July last year.  Sorry, but I
just don't have a whole lot of sympathy for something that can stay
broken that long without anyone fixing it. ;)

Satoshi