* From: Glenn Johnson <gjohn...@nola.srrc.usda.gov>

 * Your points are well taken. I had a local port of g77 that built
 * against our current gcc. I never submitted it however for a couple
 * of reasons:
 *
 * 1. The port I had was for 0.5.19. This will build against our current
 *    gcc, but g77 has advanced significantly since then. Unfortunately, the
 *    newer versions need gcc 2.8. It was simply easier for me to use the
 *    newer versions of g77 with gcc 2.8 or egcs release versions. Note that I
 *    said easier for me; some colleagues of mine could/would not want to have
 *    to maintain a compiler on their own. Yes, I was told this on a couple
 *    of occasions. I can not see a point in me becoming the g77 0.5.19 port
 *    maintainer when I am using newer versions of g77.

I wasn't blaming you (or anyone in particular, for that matter).  You
don't even have to become a maintainer.  But if you have a fix to the
build problems, and you think it is an important enough piece of
software for you and other people, please send in a patch so it can be
built.

Satoshi