On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > > Because Berkeley Unix has /always/ included a FORTRAN compiler.
> >
> > And they have /always/ included games.  Next issue.

Well, there's a little more to this argument.  I'm not saying I'm
necessarily in favor *myself* of programming in fortran (I like going to
the dentist a whole lot more) but to many people, having a fortran
compiler that works in FreeBSD is something of a badge of authenticity.
Most of these folks are heavy research types, but it's certainly true
that having the compiler at least *did* increase FreeBSD's reputation to
some degree.

I'm not sure if this argument is worth pushing anymore, because
FreeBSD's stability and usefulness has become much more well known, but
it did contribute at some point, and I think that is the idea that
Daniel was trying to convey.

Right?

chu...@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).