In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Bryan Liesner writes:

>Netscape would always crash on me when loading a java applet - I found
>that if you define both the scaled and unscaled fonts in XF86Config as
>below that all the java related crashes go away.

>Section "Files"
>       RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>       FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
>       FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
>       FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>       FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
>       ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
>EndSection

>Hope this helps.

I tried this and Netscape ran Java for me for the first time _ever_, but
other X programs started using scaled versions of bitmapped fonts - bleaurgh.

Thinking about fonts inspired me, though; I copied the fonts.properties that
the Linux JDK ports at http://www.jmcm.org/tech/ports/linux_jdk.html installed,
and that works too.

(This is with the Linux Netscape version; I haven't tried with the FreeBSD
native version.)

-spc