On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Stephane Legrand wrote:

> Andrzej Bialecki writes:
>  > On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > > i was wondering if the limitations that are supposed to be enforced via
>  > > the login.conf mechanism do really work...
>  > >
>  > > In particular, i have tried (on 3.1 something, but don't think that
>  > > current is much different in this respect) to enforce the daily etc.
>  > > login times but the system seems to ignore them.
>  > >
>  > > I think /etc/login.conf is properly parsed, because if i assign a user
>  > > to a class that is not defined in login.conf i get complaints, but
>  > > other than that i am unable to limit login time...
>  > >
>  > > Any hints ?
>  >
>  > That's also my impression. I glipmsed the whole source tree and I couldn't
>  > find any place where the limits are enforced. BTW. what entity should
>  > enforce login time limits? Kernel? Some user-space daemon?
>  >

> To report a login.conf success, i've used on a 2.2.8 system the
> "cputime" ressource limit. I set it to zero and that worked very
> well. So may be only some limits are implemented ?

If you'd like to see where the ones which are implemented are implemented, look
at the process
context-switch routines in the kernel. Not having checked, but guessing, I bet
login reads
login.conf as a db and uses the values to set rlimits, which is where they
would be set.

> Stephane Legrand.
>
> --
> stephane.legr...@wanadoo.fr : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/stephane.legrand/
> FreeBSD Francophone : http://www.freebsd-fr.org/

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/