> I mailed a simple way to reproduce the serious brokeness of the
> serial port driver on my system and no one responds.
>
> What does this mean ?

It means that nobody is probably willing to go bring up a MAME
environment just to test this.  You need to isolate it to a more
minimal test case if you want people to jump on what could be a local
problem (some serial hardware is better behaved than others) or a
misbehaving X server (which is masking interrupts for too long; see
mailing list archives on this topic).  The more complex your
reproduction case, in other words, the less likely it is that anyone
will respond to it.

If you can say "here's a small stand-alone C program which hogs things
to the extent that the serial driver seriously overruns its buffers"
then it's likely that someone will be at least motivated to compile,
run and try it.  If it involves running some esoteric application
which requires downloading data of questionable legality on top of it,
it's far less likely that anyone will even bother to look.

- Jordan