On Sat, 8 May 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I mailed a simple way to reproduce the serious brokeness of the
> > serial port driver on my system and no one responds.
> >
> > What does this mean ?
>
> It means that nobody is probably willing to go bring up a MAME
> environment just to test this.  You need to isolate it to a more
> minimal test case if you want people to jump on what could be a local
> problem (some serial hardware is better behaved than others) or a
> misbehaving X server (which is masking interrupts for too long; see
> mailing list archives on this topic).  The more complex your
> reproduction case, in other words, the less likely it is that anyone
> will respond to it.

Hmm, so now you're the second to cite the possibility of X masking interrupts
too long, eh? ;) Actually, I use MAME all the time, and this problem does NOT
occur (XF86_SVGA on an S3 ViRGE/DX). Oh, user-ppp too of course. If I could
have reproduced this problem, I would have replied.

> If you can say "here's a small stand-alone C program which hogs things
> to the extent that the serial driver seriously overruns its buffers"
> then it's likely that someone will be at least motivated to compile,
> run and try it.  If it involves running some esoteric application
> which requires downloading data of questionable legality on top of it,
> it's far less likely that anyone will even bother to look.

MAME is a great piece of software, and in and of itself entirely legal; what
problem do you have with it?

> - Jordan

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/