As far as I can tell, this is unrelated to newbus as the same actions
would trigger this problem before and after newbus.

I have been seeing this problem for many months (maybe years - but I've
only recently identified a set of actions to reproduce it every time).

The wierd thing is that I can download heaps of stuff all at the same
time (at 48000 baud) and get over 5.5 K/s without a silo overflow BUT
as soon as I run MAME, the serial port is stuffed and requires a reboot
to do the smallest amount of traffic.

NOTE:  This occurs AFTER I exit MAME or while I keep it running!!!!

Very strange.  And its not just on this hardware.

I'd just like someone to try to reproduce this.

I realise that downloading a MAME ROM is problematic but surely someone
out there owns an old space invaders machine or something similar.

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Bruce said, in his own quite way, that somebody had broken fast
> interrupts as part of newbus, and that is the end of that story.
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> In message <22229.926181...@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> >> I mailed a simple way to reproduce the serious brokeness of the
> >> serial port driver on my system and no one responds.
> >>
> >> What does this mean ?
> >
> >It means that nobody is probably willing to go bring up a MAME
> >environment just to test this.  You need to isolate it to a more
> >minimal test case if you want people to jump on what could be a local
> >problem (some serial hardware is better behaved than others) or a
> >misbehaving X server (which is masking interrupts for too long; see
> >mailing list archives on this topic).  The more complex your
> >reproduction case, in other words, the less likely it is that anyone
> >will respond to it.
> >
> >If you can say "here's a small stand-alone C program which hogs things
> >to the extent that the serial driver seriously overruns its buffers"
> >then it's likely that someone will be at least motivated to compile,
> >run and try it.  If it involves running some esoteric application
> >which requires downloading data of questionable legality on top of it,
> >it's far less likely that anyone will even bother to look.
> >
> >- Jordan

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
> >

> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> p...@freebsd.org               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

| Work: matthew.th...@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thy...@camtech.net.au |
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973