Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > > I was looking into fixing the install-info problem, and wondered if the
> > > solution is really as easy as it seems:
> >
> >       Hmmm.... I had been thinking all along that the problem with
> > install-info was that the system couldn't use the new binary. Are you
> > saying here that installworld is trying to use the old version of
> > install-info that is installed in the system? Please say it isn't so...
> >
> Yes, it is using the old binary.
> There were plans (Marcel?) to commit an installation tools support into
> src/Makefile.inc1, but it was postponed until 4.0-RELEASE is done.
> This is now happened, and I expect Marcel committing his staff soon.

All that needs to be done is build install-info by the bootstrap-tools
stage. It will then be used throughout the build and install stages
(after applying the patch :-). This of course assumes that the new
install-info is backward compatible with the previous version.

The bootstrap-tools stage is designed to solve incompatibilities caused
by versions of tools installed on the system and the requirements (for
newer ones) by the source-tree.

> >       If install-info is needed to do installworld, shouldn't it be
> > considered a build tool, with all of the build platform/install platform
> > gymnastics that implies?
> >
> install-info is already built as part of build-tools stage, but there are
> two problems.

This is a bug. If install-info is installed, then it isn't a build tool.
Build tools are programs/scripts that are needed to build the sources
only. They are not installed. Since install-info is installed, it can't
be a build tool. this means that we either use the installed version or
use a freshly built version made during the bootstrap stage.

> First, it is not currently used at the installworld stage,
> which Marcel's patch fixes.

Correct. Installworld is using installed binaries (even though newer
ones have been made by the bootstrap stage) *and* it is using binaries
it has installed already and which may not even be runnable by the
current kernel.

> Second, less important (IMHO), is a cross
> building issue.  Consider the case, when you want to build 4.0 alpha
> world on 3.x i386 system, and then install it (world) on alpha running 3.x.
> It was discussed about month ago on -current...

I don't consider this less important. Having the ability to do cross
builds helps maintaining FreeBSD on multiple platforms and also helps in
porting to new platforms.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]