Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > This is a bug. If install-info is installed, then it isn't a build tool.
> > Build tools are programs/scripts that are needed to build the sources
> > only. They are not installed. Since install-info is installed, it can't
> > be a build tool. this means that we either use the installed version or
> > use a freshly built version made during the bootstrap stage.
> >
> Silly me, I meant bootstrap-tools.  There are so many *-tools stages,
> that one is easy to get lost :-)

Yeah. I thought about adding another one just for the unadultery heck of
it, but changed my mind :-)

> > > Second, less important (IMHO), is a cross
> > > building issue.  Consider the case, when you want to build 4.0 alpha
> > > world on 3.x i386 system, and then install it (world) on alpha running 3.x.
> > > It was discussed about month ago on -current...
> >
> > I don't consider this less important. Having the ability to do cross
> > builds helps maintaining FreeBSD on multiple platforms and also helps in
> > porting to new platforms.
> >
> Umm, I was unclean.  It seems to be of less priority.

Ah, ok. I misunderstood what you ment here.

To be a bit more concrete (rather than being chatty):
I hope to find the time soon to update the patch to match the current
source tree (this requires some testing time/resources) after which we
can all review it again before I commit it. To speed things up, you are
of course welcome to be pro-active (damn, my work environment already
gets to me :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]