At 1:11 PM -0500 2000/4/3, Barry Pederson wrote:

>  Won't this also goof up programs like Exim (an SMTP MTA), that have some
>  settings available for how to handle messages under various loads
>  (process now, queue for later, etc)?

        If there has been an actual change in how the load average is
calculated, then any program that changes it's behaviour based on the
load average may have problems.  This would certainly include SMTP
MTAs such as sendmail, Exim, etc....

        However, more recent comments lead me to question whether there
actually has been a change in the way load is calculated.