Kris.  exactly what features need to be added to the boot process to allow
what you want to do, but without using grub?

On 10/19/13 3:39 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

On 10/11/13 12:39 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

On 10/10/13 1:05 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
I'm late to the party again ;D (didn't realize the rcs thread had turned BE)

Both problems can be solved.
The loading of the kernel *after* choosing your boot device is trivial.
We've been doing it at $work for *years* (almost a decade?)

I can put that in, whenever. Probably at the same time as implementing
the live/dynamic BE menus for selecting the root device.
yeah it always pisses me of when the menu comes up after the kernel is loaded
because 99% of the time, I'm in the menu because I want to boot a DIFFERENT
kernel..

Same thought I had about 7 years ago. After hearing that others
(especially you, Julian) think the same thoughts...

I'm happily ready to merge a patch from VICOR to achieve this.
PLEASE!..   put it up for review somewhere...

Done...

http://druidbsd.cvs.sf.net/viewvc/druidbsd/forth_zfs/

All new code. Had to make it programmable:

http://twitpic.com/dhv2b6

See that the patch adds documentation for loader.conf(5).
It also clarifies a horrible description of "start" versus "initialize" in
loader.4th(8).

I wonder if we can we get a reviewboard instance for the project some time?

Do let me know what you think. I went all-out on this one.