On 11/20/15 08:54, Dan Partelly wrote:
Hi Pedro,

I think you confuse blackmailing with something much simpler and pragmatic.
One needs to asses how things work in your project for real before investing
too much time.

A template for blackmailing is usually in the form:

"I will do this (usually involving saving the world and/or your
evidently miserable life) but first you will have to do this
(unrelated) thing to see that you are worthy."

Adrian was contemplating the fact that none writes code,  so I had some code at
the
hand with with I can see how things work around here. You want it, good.
You don't want it, its also good.

I don't know about the (new) libxo discussion, but the ddb thing is unrelated to such discussion, and when I first looked at it it was
not in good shape.

 You want to trash it… also good.
Its all the same to me. This process is aimed to  give me an idea , if your
workflow
works for me.

In my experience it is always easier for new contributors to adapt to
the community than to re-shape it. You can try.. but there will likely
be pain.

you discuss your idea and try to get some consensus in the
lists/IRC/conferences.

I am not particularly interested in promoting ideas and gathering consensus. I
am not a
politician. I happen to believe that translating some utilities from the  base
to libraries
  is a very valuable  addition to the project. Id rather spend time with my
familty and walk
around the city in nature with my GSD dog than embarking on some twisted
political
campaign.

We are particularly NOT interested in code where the original contributor will
walk
away as soon as he/she receives criticism or has plans that do not match ours.

Undeerstandable.

Libxo already went through this process.

Libxo already went through this process.

It did, aint it ? And I seen what kind of “consensus” the xoification of base
caused. Apparently, adopted for no better reason than “someone wrote code” .

There was a GSoC that did a different implementation but libxo was
specifically made for FreeBSD after a long discussion.

That doesn't mean everyone is happy with it or that it is perfect
but it went in through an open process. The process, call it politics
or consensus or community building, is important in any opensource
effort that aims to be sustainable.

These days github makes it pretty easy for anyone to play with their
new ideas to the limit. When I mean you can fork your own BSD, I
mean it. You can experiment on your own without waiting on us to decide:
eventually we may decide to bring it in ...

Pedro.