Paweł Tyll wrote on 07/12/2016 01:22:

Those 3 things should shave off about 130MB of the 173MB needed to fit
on  80-min CD-R. But... why this abstract number anyway? Why not 650MB
CD-R?  Why  not  overburnable  800MB  90-min CD-R or even 870MB 99-min
CD-R? :)

It is not only about the target media size. The size matters when you need to boot some recovery media from you desktop on remote server via KVM.

And there is one thing I don't understand - why is the bootonly so large? I remember days when this fits to 50MB and now it is almost 235MB which renders it almost useless. For recoveries and remote installs I always use mfsbsd images (about 45MB).

Miroslav Lachman