On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:05:06 +0300 Slawa Olhovchenkov <s...@zxy.spb.ru> wrote

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 02:05:32PM -0700, Chris H wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:09:10 +0930 Shane Ambler <free...@shaneware.biz>
> > wrote
> > >
> > > +1 on dropping CD images. I haven't burnt a CD in over 10 years and I
> > > don't believe I have seen a CD only drive in that time. Even with a CD
> > > size image I have burnt them to DVD, I first started this because
> > > transfer speeds of DVD's are faster and nowadays it costs almost the
> > > same to burn a DVD. So I see zero benefit to using CD's and that's
> > > before thinking of reusable USB devices.
> > >
> > > I do think there is a benefit to keeping the small boot only image
> > > available that can be used to start/recover a machine that can then
> > > download any data to be installed.
> > >
> > > --
> > > FreeBSD - the place to B...Storing Data
> > >
> > > Shane Ambler
> > >

> > -1
> > There is no *good* reason that FreeBSD can't maintain the CD image.
> > I think the *real* question here is; *why* is it now so hard to fit
> > it on a CD?
>
> clang main binary now 50MB size (27MB for 10.x) -- on live FS and in
> base.txz. 11.x now ship lldb (on live FS too) -- 50MB also binary -- on live
> FS and in base.txz.
> kernel now 26M vs 12M on 10.3.
> kernel with modules now 115MB vs 54MB on 10.3
> total size of *.a now 50M (vs 48M).
>
> All binaries slightly bigger: usr/bin/ld from 1580008 to 1615912 (+2%).

Thank you very much for posting the stats, Slawa!

Yikes. The kernel is now *twice* the size?!
Is bigger really better? I understand that clang is largely
responsible. But do the ends truly justify the means? What's
the cruft factor? You know; new ideas get started then life,
or other things get in the way, and it stalls. Leaving cruft
in the source. With the hopes of completing it at a later date.
Sorry, I haven't (yet) had the time to download a new iso image
and examine this, myself.

Honestly, these numbers are really depressing. :(

--Chris