> There is a similar problem for the drm devices (by default, users can’t
> use 3D acceleration).  A devfs.conf policy can change the permissions.  I’d
> suggest that we create a default group called something like console or
> local, put new users there by default, and make drm and evdev devices
> accessible by this group.
> David

​Actually in Linux wlc and I think also Weston recommend using setuid for
the compositor. It then forks and drops permission. All devices are opened
as superuser and then sent to the child process. This works fine for me
with tty and drm, however, libinput complains about devices not being
tagged as input device but they are opened successfully. I haven't looked
deeper into why...

As for X11, maybe this approach does not work and we need group permissions.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information in this email is confidential
and intended solely for the addressee.
Disclosure, copying, distribution or any other action of use of this
email by person other than intended recipient, is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in
error, please destroy the original message.