On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> Hey chuck, except for the SMP stuff, your config looks mostly like mine (I
> only have a cpu line for i686) Let me know if there's anything I can do to
> help though.

I'm about ready to post again, so this is good timing.

I got the totally vague warning from gethints.pl to quiet by making my
disk section look much like the NOTES file.  I then ran it by a brand new
config, and out spewed more than 25 errors.  The entire section on wiring
down disks fails, and also all the stuff on npx, even tho that part was
copied verbatim from NOTES.

I have an Adaptec dual channel controller on my motherboard, and I have 3
disks and 2 cdroms, which I want to wire down.  There's lines in the NOTES
examples whose meanings just make no sense to me.  Let me do a bit of
quoting:

[from NOTES]
hint.scbus.0.at="ahc0"
hint.scbus.1.at="ahc1"
hint.scbus.1.bus="0"
hint.scbus.3.at="ahc2"
hint.scbus.3.bus="0"
hint.scbus.2.at="ahc2"
hint.scbus.2.bus="1"
hint.da.0.at="scbus0"
hint.da.0.target="0"
hint.da.0.unit="0"
hint.da.1.at="scbus3"
hint.da.1.target="1"
hint.da.2.at="scbus2"
hint.da.2.target="3"
hint.sa.1.at="scbus1"
hint.sa.1.target="6"

What does ``hint.scbus.1.bus="0"'' mean?  Do I have to stick a number
after the "device ahc" and "device scbus" lines (the NOTES file
doesn't).  Are there any other oddities I ought to know of?

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.