(Stuff about sound skippage & mouse jerkiness snipped)

>I'm getting this too, in fact even pcmplay (about as minimalistic as you
>can get) skips a lot and often throws hwptr went backwards.  Oh yeah, I'm
>using an AWE64 PnP as well.

Making the sound buffer 32K instead of 4K (like a related thread on this
list suggested) helped me with the sound, listening to MP3's while I work
is now bearable, and I don't get the "hwptr moved backwards" crap, but the
jerkiness is still there.

It's been said it's caused by IRQ latency and that the SMPNG guys are
working on it, so I guess it's a question of keeping current till this is
solved.

         DocWilco