On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 02:53:25PM -0800, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     P.S. To anyone who wants to cleanup the rc.diskless files,
>     please be my guest!  I wrote them originally and they worked
>     'ok', but then some people mangled them and ever since they
>     haven't worked right.  I don't have time to clean them up
>     myself.  They could use a complete rewriting, IMHO.
>
>                                               -Matt

I've used these to set up a NFS root area for a bunch of servers, but
each server has a local disk where I put /var, swap, and a /local
mount point for things that need to be accessed a lot.  I found
rc.diskless1 was fine, but I needed to hack up rc.diskless2 pretty
thoroughly for my own situation.  It provided a good template, though :)

However, there was one area that I thought you did kind've backwards.
That was the sucking in of the /etc files.  I'm referring to the
following in rc.diskless1 where you check for host-specific files,
followed by network, then a default config:

  if [ -d /conf/${bootp_ipa} ] ; then
          cp -Rp /conf/${bootp_ipa}/etc/* /conf/etc
  elif [ -d /conf/${bootp_ipbca} ] ; then
          cp -Rp /conf/${bootp_ipbca}/etc/* /conf/etc
  else
          cp -Rp /conf/default/etc/* /conf/etc
  fi

I've found that one can reduce a lot of common file duplication by
reversing that logic, going after "default" first, then
"network-specific", finally followed by "host-specific" files:

  if [ -d /conf/default/etc/ ]; then
          cp -Rp /conf/default/etc/* /conf/etc
  fi

  if [ -d /conf/${bootp_ipbca} ] ; then
          cp -Rp /conf/${bootp_ipbca}/etc/* /conf/etc
  fi

  if [ -d /conf/${bootp_ipa} ] ; then
          cp -Rp /conf/${bootp_ipa}/etc/* /conf/etc
  fi

The idea of this being that most /etc files go into "default", and
only overrides go into the "network" and "host-specific" directories.
Would folks support and agree to a change like this?

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
[EMAIL PROTECTED]