"Søren Schmidt" wrote:
> > > Maybe _that_ will keep that ata code from over-riding
> > > the bios to disable dma (or maybe the bios just wasn't
> > > doing it's job right ;)
> >
> > This won't work.
> >
> > Someone was having the same problem the other day, and
> > I suggested the same soloution, but after probe, the
> > damn driver enabled UDMA at attach time anyway.
>
> Just set hw.ata.ata_dma="0" in /boot/loader.conf and it
> will not enabled DMA..
>
> > So we removed it from the kernel config... and the damn
> > thing enabled it again.
>
> There is nothing in the config file that affects DMA...

This was a 4.3 system -- things seem to have changed in
the source tree since then.

In 4.3, it's not possible to disable DMA, because it gets
reenabled in many places (atapi.c, etc.).

This was off-topic for -current, unless the original
poster was running 4.3-RELEASE or a RELENG_4_3_0_RELEASE...

Sorry for the confusion.

-- Terry