>From: Sheldon Hearn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:38:06 +0200

>On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:29:40 +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:

>> I'd like to get advice on which of the following courses of action to take:

>>   1. Isolate and fix the problem.  I would need some help here.

>Try a better-proven release of XFree86, namely 3.3.6.

FWIW, the laptop I use is very similar to a Dell Inspiron 5000e.  I was
unable to use XF86 3.x because the machine has a display with a
resolution of 1400x1050 (which XF86 3.x apparently doesn't cope with for
the ATI Rage Mobility).

Information about how I set the machine up is at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html -- briefly, I've
been tracking both -STABLE & -CURRENT daily (with a few exceptions).
Though I do most of tthe work on the machine in -STABLE, I do not recall
encountering the symptoms mentioned by Michael Robinson, and I do fire
up netscape & a few other things in -CURRENT as a reality check fairly
often.  If there's a more specific sequence of events for causing the
observed failure, I'll be happy to try the sequence after today's
-CURRENT finishes building, and report back.

Cheers,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to