On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 04:38:06PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:29:40 +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > I'd like to get advice on which of the following courses of action to take:
> >
> >   1. Isolate and fix the problem.  I would need some help here.
>
> Try a better-proven release of XFree86, namely 3.3.6.

Based on my preliminary efforts to isolate the problem, it seems pretty
clear that A) the code path required to reach the error is not exposed by
the malloc API to applications (after all, how could an application call
"free" recursively?), and B) it likely has something to do with an overlooked
race condition in the thread safety retrofit of libc late last year.

But, as was mentioned previously, XFree86 3.3.6 doesn't have the required
chip support for the Dell 5000e, so that's not an option, regardless.

I welcome further suggestions, though.

        -Michael Robinson