On 13-Aug-01 Terry Lambert wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>> > More ideally, the FreeBSD box would detect whether or not
>> > the video card had been disabled, and use _that_ to decide
>> > whether or not to use a keyboard.  It would become the job
>> > of the video driver -- be it a regular driver, or be it an
>> > LCD driver -- to make the distinction.
>>
>> This might be practical except that lots of motherboards ship with
>> built-in video these days.
>
> I think that disabling this in AMI BIOS, at least, will result
> in the carry flag being set to indicate INT 10 call failures.

Unfortunately there are other BIOS vendors, and we need a solution that works
across the board and doesn't trigger false positives.  (Most BIOS's don't set
the enhanced keyboard bit for USB keyboards, and some don't set it for PS/2
keyboards either, hence turning off -P.)

>> What dance?  Works great for me.  If SRM uses serial console, so
>> does FreeBSD.  If SRM uses vidconsole, so does FreeBSD.  In fact,
>> this is the _only_ way it can work on the Alpha since SRM just
>> gives you one console device handle and one boot device handle.
>>
>> Have you actually used an Alpha before? :-P
>
> Yes, I've used a Miata and a Multia with FreeBSD, and several
> others with DEC UNIX, and had a PC164 at one time.
>
> Surprisingly, setting "vidconsole" in the SRM didn't make
> my TGA work in FreeBSD.  8-p.

Not all of those machines have TGA's, and you could be testing out the TGA
driver.  However, there is no song and dance, you set the console to serial for
a TGA machine and it all works and fine.  Not exactly a song and dance. :)

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/