On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:51:32AM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

>     Ruslan> It doesn't really matter what the home directory is set to
>     Ruslan> (IIRC), but the shell must be uucico(8).
>
> No, this is wrong on both counts.
>
> By convention, the home directory of the uucp login has corresponded
> to the UUCP PUBDIR. Traditionally this was /usr/spool/uucppublic, and
> maps to /var/spool/uucppublic these days. Thus, if I wanted to
> copy a file to the public file area on machine b I would incant
>
>      uucp file b!~
>
> and the uucico on the remote end would expand the '~' to
> /usr/spool/uucppublic.

Of course I know what the /var/spool/uucppublic is for, but it's not
controlled by "uucp" account in FreeBSD.  It's controlled by the
"pubdir" UUCP config option, that's why "it doesn't really matter".

> This usage predates (and probably inspired) the common behavior of
> current shells handling of '~' expansion. While no modern UUCP I'm
> aware of uses the value of pw->pw_dir to derive PUBDIR, POLA would
> imply that the interpretation of '~uucp' should be the same for
> both the uucp(1) command and for shells that do ~ expansion. Therefore
> I would recommend keeping the UUCP home directory as /var/spool/uucppublic.
> If you want to be paranoid you make this directory owned by root.wheel
> and mode 0555 without breaking anything.

The problem is that "uucp" account should stay, but the creation of
this directory should be moved to ports.  And we don't want "uucp"
account with non-existing homedir.

> As for the `uucp' account's shell, this should be set to
> /sbin/nologin.  The purpose of the uucp entry in /etc/passwd is to
> provide a unique runtime uid for the setuid UUCP components. Note that
> there are some periodic maintenance scripts that should be run if you
> actively use UUCP. These traditionally run under the `uucp' identity,
> so you need to make sure that they will continue to function with
> /sbin/nologin. (Which they should, otherwise they would have barfed
> with uucico as the shell.) The shell for the uucp account should most
> certainly NOT be uucico! And you should *never* allow remote site UUCP
> logins (those that run uucico) under the `uucp' login, for obvious
> security reasons. Instead, create seperate unique logins for each
> remote site, just as you would for each of your shell accounts, but
> set the login shell to uucico.

Oh, you obviously replied too quickly.  This is exactly what I wrote
in my email.  I just tried to explain "historical behavior" at the
start of my message, and you were confused by not reading my mail
entirely.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Oracle Developer/DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age