As you've already noticed, sysinstall basically tries to create the
device nodes it needs under the old assumption that /dev will be
mostly empty.  Now that devfs is the default, phk needs to update
libdisk so that it doesn't attempt to make the device nodes in this
way.  Fortunately, the person who wrote libdisk is also the same
person who made devfs the default, so this ball is very clearly in his
court. :-)

- Jordan